Terminals Are Sexy
A curated list of Terminal frameworks, plugins & resources for CLI lovers.
- Terminals Are Sexy
- Other Sexy Lists
Sexy frameworks, plugins and resources for your sexy shell.
- Base Shells
- bash - GNU Project's shell (Bourne Again SHell).
- zsh - Powerful shell with scripting language.
- fish - Smart and user-friendly command line shell.
- xonsh - Python-ish, BASHwards-looking shell language and command prompt.
- PowerShell - PowerShell is an automation and configuration tool/framework that is optimized for dealing with structured data.
- oh-my-zsh - A delightful community-driven framework for managing your zsh configuration.
- prezto - The configuration framework for Zsh.
- zsh-syntax-highlighting - Fish shell like syntax highlighting for Zsh.
- antigen - A plugin manager for zsh, inspired by oh-my-zsh and vundle.
- antibody - A faster and simpler antigen written in Golang.
- pure - Pretty, minimal and fast ZSH prompt.
- powerlevel9k - Super flexible awesome powerline ZSH theme.
- liquidprompt - A full-featured & carefully designed adaptive prompt for Bash & Zsh.
- dotzsh - A community driven framework for zsh.
- zgen - A lightweight and simple plugin manager for ZSH.
- zplug - A next-generation plugin manager for zsh.
- zunit - A powerful unit testing framework for ZSH.
- zshdb - A ZSH debugger.
- zsh-quickstart-kit - Simple zsh quickstart for using zsh and zgen.
- zsh-autosuggestions - Fish-like autosuggestions for zsh.
- alf - Alf is an out of this world super fast and configurable framework for zsh.
- ant-zsh - Ant-zsh is a tiny and lightweight ZSH configuration environment for special customization needs.
- pumice - Pumice is a lightweight plugin manager for zsh.
- zeesh - Zeesh is a cross-platform Zsh framework.
- zilsh - Zilsh is a zsh config system that aims to appeal more to power-users and follow the simplistic approach of vim-pathogen.
- zim - Zim is a Zsh configuration framework with blazing speed and modular extensions.
- zoppo - Zoppo is the crippled configuration framework for Zsh.
- zpm - ZPM is a plugin manager for zsh similar to vim-plug.
- ztanesh - Ztanesh aims to improve your UNIX command line experience and productivity with the the configuration provided by the ztanesh project.
- zulu - Zulu is a total environment manager for ZSH 5+.
- zsh-pony - Covers customizing ZSH without a framework.
- bash-sensible - An attempt at saner Bash defaults.
- bash-powerline - Powerline-style Bash prompt in pure Bash script.
- bashtrap - A quick way to spruce up OSX terminal.
- liquidprompt - A full-featured & carefully designed adaptive prompt for Bash & Zsh.
- hstr - Bash History Suggest Box.
- aliases - Contextual, dynamic, organized aliases for the bash shell.
- bash-it - Bash-it is a collection of community Bash commands and scripts.
- git-prompt - Bash prompt with Git, SVN and HG modules.
- gittify - A colorful Bash prompt + customized Git aliases.
- oh-my-git - An opinionated git prompt for bash and zsh.
- bash-git-prompt - An informative and fancy Bash prompt for Git users.
- sexy-bash-prompt - Bash prompt with colors, Git statuses, and Git branches.
- git-sh - A customized Bash environment suitable for Git work.
- git-radar - A heads up display for git
Terminal Emulation Applications
Sexy 3rd party terminal emulation applications.
- iTerm2 - iTerm2 is a terminal emulator for Mac OS X that does amazing things.
- ConEmu - Customizable Windows terminal with tabs, splits, quake-style and more.
- PuTTY - PuTTY is an SSH and telnet client, developed originally by Simon Tatham for the Windows platform.
- KiTTY - KiTTY is a fork from version 0.67 of PuTTY, the best telnet / SSH client in the world.
- Terminator - The robot future of terminals.
- Konsole - Konsole is a terminal emulator for the K Desktop Environment.
- MacTerm - Powerful replacement for macOS Terminal.
- xterm - The xterm program is a terminal emulator for the X Window System.
- Hyper - A terminal built on web technologies.
- ZOC - SSH/Telnet Client and Terminal Emulator for macOS and Windows.
- Black Screen - A terminal emulator for the 21st century.
- DTerm - A command line anywhere and everywhere.
- TotalTerminal - A system-wide terminal available on a hot-key.
- Go2Shell - Opens a terminal window to the current directory in Finder.
- Cathode - A vintage terminal for macOS.
- Alacritty - A cross-platform, GPU-accelerated terminal emulator.
- Termite - A keyboard-centric terminal, aimed at use within a tiling window manager.
- Cmder - Lovely console emulator package for Windows.
- Terminix - An advanced GTK3 tiling terminal emulator.
- ConsoleZ - ConsoleZ is a Windows console window enhancement. It is a fork of Console project.
- Mosh - Remote terminal application that allows roaming and supports intermittent connectivity.
Sexy package managers for your OS X, Linux & Windows CLIs.
- nix - Nix is a powerful package manager for Linux and other Unix systems that makes package management reliable and reproducible.
- pip - pip is a package management system used to install and manage software packages written in Python.
- bower - A package manager for the web.
- duo - A next-generation package manager for the front-end.
- basher - A package manager for shell scripts.
- rubygems - RubyGems is the Ruby community’s gem hosting service.
- composer - Composer is a package manager for PHP.
- pkg - Package management tool for FreeBSD.
- oneget - PackageManagement (aka OneGet) is a package manager for Windows.
- chocolatey - The package manager for Windows.
- cygwin - Linux-like environment for Windows making it possible to port software running on POSIX systems to Windows.
- ninite - Install and Update All Your Programs at Once.
- ruckzuck - Software Package Manager for Windows, a quick way to install and update Software.
- wpkg - WPKG is an automated software deployment, upgrade and removal program for Windows.
- scoop - A package manager for Windows.
- babun - Preconfigured cygwin with an advance package manager - pact.
Sexy text editors for your Command Line Interface.
- vim - Vim is an extensively configurable, cross-platform and highly efficient text editor.
- emacs - Emacs is cross-platform and has both command-line and graphical user interface.
- spacemacs - A community-driven emacs distribution.
- nano - A text editor for Unix-like computing systems or operating environments using a command line interface.
- micro - A modern and intuitive terminal-based text editor.
- jed - JED is a freely available text editor for Unix, VMS, MSDOS, OS/2, BeOS, QNX, and win9X/NT platforms.
- kakoune - A modal editor with multiple selections and orthogonal design.
- vis - A highly efficient text editor.
- slap - a Sublime-like terminal-based text editor.
Tools and Plugins
Sexy Applications for your Command Line Interface.
- haxor-news - Browse Hacker News like a haxor.
- reddit terminal viewer - Browse Reddit from your terminal.
- taskwarrior - A command-line TODO list manager.
- transfer.sh - Quickly upload and share files from your shell.
- whereami - Get your geolocation information from the CLI.
- howdoi - Instant code answers and examples from the command line
- htop - A cool looking and interactive process viewer 'replacement' for the top command.
- lolcat - Rainbows and unicorns!
- ack - ack is a tool like grep, optimized for programmers.
- the_silver_searcher - A code-searching tool similar to ack, but faster.
- lunchy - A friendly wrapper for launchctl.
- bro - examples for command line programs.
- tldr - Simplified and community-driven man pages.
- tmux - a terminal multiplexer.
- ranger - a console file manager with vi key bindings.
- googler - Search Google from your terminal.
- screenfetch - Fetches system/theme information in terminal for Linux desktop screenshots.
- neofetch - Fetches system/theme information in terminal for Linux desktop screenshots. Alternative to screenfetch.
- jrnl - A simple command line journal application that stores your journal in a plain text file.
- tig - Text mode interface for git.
- vifm - a console file manager with vi key bindings and some ideas from mutt.
- autojump - a cd command that learns
- fzf - a command-line fuzzy finder.
- wttr.in - The right way to check the weather.
- hub - Command-line wrapper for git that makes working with GitHub easy.
Sexy Tools for communicating through the Command Line Interface.
- irssi - Irssi is the self proclaimed client of the future and my favorite IRC client.
- bitchx - BitchX is a feature-rich and highly configurable, terminal based IRC client based on ircII.
- centerim - CenterIM is a terminal based, multi-protocol Instant Messaging client with support for IRC.
- weechat - WeeChat is a fast, light and extensible chat client.
- epic - EPIC is a IRC client that has been under active development for 20+ years in 5 generations.
- slacker - Simple Slack client for the CLI.
- go-jira - simple jira command line client in Go.
Join the CLI lover community.
- /r/commandline - This is for anything regarding the command line, in any operating system.
- /r/osxterminal - Tips for using terminal.app in OS X.
- /r/zsh/ - Everything on zsh.
- /r/unixporn/ - Everything on unix.
- #bash - Bash IRC channel on freenode.
- stackoverflow - Terminal tagged questions.
Other Sexy Lists
Here are some more sexy lists.
- awesome-devenv - A curated list of delightful Bash scripts and resources.
- awesome-sysadmin - A curated list of amazingly awesome open source sysadmin resources.
- awesome-python - A curated list of awesome Python frameworks, libraries, software and resources.
- awesome-sec-talks - A collected list of awesome security talks.
- awesome-zsh-plugins - A collection of ZSH frameworks, plugins & themes inspired by the various awesome list collections out there.
- public-apis - A curated list of APIs from round the web.
- free-programming-books - Freely available programming books.
- seclists - SecLists is the security tester's companion.
- security-cheatsheets - A collection of cheatsheets for various infosec tools and topics.
- the-art-of-command-line - Master the command line, in one page.
Your contributions are always welcome! Please take a look at the contribution guidelines first.
Pull requests might be kept open if I haven't decided whether additions are sexy enough.